How Do I Jumpstart a Car?
Got a dead car battery near Port Orchard? Check out this guide of car jumpstart tips, and count on Advantage Nissan in Bremerton for a variety of Nissan service specials!
How to Jumpstart a Car Battery Traditionally
If you have a set of jumper cables and another working car at your disposal, then jumpstarting your car is fairly straightforward:
- Put the cars nose-to-noise or side-by-side, with the parking brakes of both engaged.
- Take the jumper cables out.
- Connect one of the the red clamps to your car’s positive terminal (marked + or POS).
- Connect the other red clamp to the other car’s positive terminal
- Connect one of the black clamps to the other car’s negative terminal.
- Connect the other black clamp to an unpainted metal surface on your car away from the battery.
- Turn on the ignition of the working car.
- Wait for a few minutes for your battery to charge.
- Start your vehicle.
How to Jumpstart a Car Without Cables
If you have a car with a manual transmission, you may be able to jumpstart the car without jumper cables by following these steps.
- Get the car to the top of a hill.
- Press the clutch in all the way and hold the brakes.
- Put the car in second gear.
- Turn the ignition but not all the way on.
- Release the brakes, but keep the clutch pressed down.
- Release the clutch once the car is going around 5 mph.
How to Jumpstart a Car Without Another Car
If you have a car with a manual transmission, then you can likely jumpstart your car by following the steps listed above. If you have a car with an automatic transmission, then the only way to jumpstart a car without another car is if you have a portable car battery jump start power station, which can be purchased at many big box stores and auto parts stores..
Get Auto Service Near Auburn from Advantage Nissan!
Avoid dead car batteries in Puyallup by following your car’s recommended maintenance schedule at Advantage Nissan, where you can also take advantage of our tire specials. You can also learn more about Nissan engine and car maintenance like how to remove the smell of smoke from your car or how often to change your oil. We’re located at 5101 Auto Center Boulevard in Bremerton, WA, and you can contact us at (360) 373-6300.